Obtaining a Student Visa

You must obtain a Student Visa in order to study at Keio University. You will need a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for your visa at the Japanese Embassy or consulates in your country. Your visa's term of validity is the same as the length of your study term at Keio.

Certificate of Eligibility

You will need a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for your Student Visa. The Certificate of Eligibility is an official document issued by the Japanese Ministry of Justice. The Office of Student Services (International Exchange Services Group) will apply for your Certificate of Eligibility on your behalf, and send it to you when issued. You will need to use this certificate and a valid passport to apply for a Student Visa at a Japanese embassy or consulate. Consult with the Japanese Embassy/Consulate for any supporting documents.

When will the "Certificate of Eligibility" be sent?

Your Certificate of Eligibility in PDF format will be directly to the student (s)' registered email address by late-August for Fall semester applicants, and by late-February for Spring semester applicants as soon as it arrives from the Immigration Bureau.

Monbukagakusho Scholarship Students

Monbukagakusho (Japanese Government) Scholarship Students do not need a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a Student Visa. Follow the instructions given in an acceptance package, which will be sent to you upon the official announcement by Monbukagakusho.

Japanese Nationals

Japanese nationals (including those with dual nationalities) must enter Japan as a Japanese national with a Japanese passport. If your passport is not valid, apply for a new one at a Japanese Embassy / Consulate. DO NOT enter Japan with a foreign passport.