The Social Security and Tax Number System ("My Number" system)

Starting in October 2015, social security and tax number, called “My Number,” will be issued to foreign nationals who are registered as residents in Japan (international students staying in Japan for more

than three months, special permanent residents, etc.).

Municipal offices will send a notification card to your registered address. After you receive it;

- Store the card in a safe place

- Do not tell the number or show the card to others. However, when required, you must provide your number to your employer or municipal offices.

Your Individual Number is valid for a lifetime, so please make sure to be careful about sharing your number or lose documents with your number on it.

Please read the website thoroughly. Information is available in 27 languages.