Keio International Program(KIP)

The Keio International Program (KIP) is a comprehensive program especially designed for exchange students from partner universities. In this program, students can study Japan and East/Southeast Asia by taking English-taught courses offered by the International Center. In addition, KIP students may take up to four (4) Japanese language courses each semester. KIP students with advanced Japanese language proficiency may also take undergraduate courses in Japanese offered by faculties open to exchange students.

Graduate students may also apply for KIP, but they cannot register for Keio University graduate school courses. Please note that the International Center only offers a very small number of graduate-level courses.

Note: Students who choose this program are not allowed to change programs.

Program Requirements:

A student must register for a minimum of seven (7) courses per semester made up of any combination of courses from the categories listed below. Registering for a minimum of seven (7) courses is a mandatory requirement to maintain "Student" visa status.

Note: Students who choose this program are not allowed to change programs.

Program Outline:

Category 1: International Center Courses

The curriculum of the International Center Courses focuses on Japan and East/Southeast Asia as a central theme. The courses are mainly for international students from overseas and are conducted in English. As Japanese students can also take these courses, they can provide students with opportunities for international exchange through study.

There are about 70 courses in various fields such as language and literature, arts, culture and cross-cultural understanding, science, religion and thought, history, media and communications, social issues, politics, diplomacy and international exchange, business and economy, and law.

There are also Independent Study course, in which students may arrange to receive individual supervision for their research from an academic advisor, Professional Career Programme (PCP) courses offered by the Faculty of Economics, and Global Passport Program (GPP) courses offered by the Faculty and Graduate School of Business and Commerce.

Most courses are offered at Mita Campus and some courses are open to graduate students only. There are prerequisites including proof of English proficiency to take PCP and GPP courses. In order to take PCP courses, you must submit the required documents and pass an interview prior to course registration.

Course Descriptions

*Descriptions of 2014 courses are available at the following URL.


*Course descriptions for the 2015 academic year will be posted at the above URL at the end of March 2015.

Additionally, a PDF file listing only the names of courses planned to be held in the 2015 academic year is  available here. The_List_of_2015-2016_International_Center_Courses.pdf

* Independent Study Course

The purpose of this course is to enable students to conduct research on a topic of their choice under the guidance and supervision of an academic staff member of Keio University. This guidance and supervision will typically involve one-on-one sessions. Students will be required to submit a substantial piece of written work that reports the results of their research. Students should note that there is no guarantee that they can enroll in the Independent Study course as the International Center reserves the right to screen all applications, and students must find a faculty member at Keio who is willing to supervise their research.

* Professional Career Programme (PCP) Courses

The Professional Career Programme (PCP) was established within the Faculty of Economics. Courses in this program are also available to exchange students as part of the International Center Courses, but there are prerequisites and requirements regarding English proficiency. This programme aims to assist third and fourth-year students who wish to enter postgraduate career programs either within Japan or abroad, including law schools, schools in public administration, business schools, and schools in international development. PCP students will participate in small-group classes, taught principally in English. PCP courses emphasize practical education in economics that will be of direct use for students’ future careers. In order to take PCP courses, you must submit the required documents and pass an interview prior to course registration.

* Global Passport Program (GPP) Courses

The Global Passport Program (GPP ), established in 2014 by the Faculty of Business and Commerce and the Graduate School of Business and Commerce, is a program run in English which aims to enable students to identify problems companies or organizations might face in a global society and to cultivate the ability to solve them. Selected Japanese students, mainly from Faculty of Business and Commerce, and international students can take part in this valuable program.

Japanese students are selected based on their academic performance and English language proficiency; however, international students registering through the International Center do not have to go through the screening process, and no documents or interviews are required.

Some courses may limit the number of students or require a prior knowledge of statistics and/or economics.

For more detailed information, please refer to the syllabus or ask the instructor in the first class of the course.

Category2: Japanese Language Courses

Students are allowed to take up to four Japanese language courses offered by the Center for Japanese Studies per semester. 

In accordance with the overall change of the Japanese Language Program curriculum starting from the 2015 Spring Semester, KIP students will be able to register for all levels of subjects offered by the Japanese Language Program at Mita Campus ranging from elementary to advanced levels. This change brings a further increase in the number of subjects, and an increased degree of freedom to choose subjects that suits the student’s own pace of learning.

Please refer to the following PDF file for details. new.gif

Category 3: Undergraduate Faculty Courses

KIP students with advanced Japanese language proficiency may also take undergraduate courses in Japanese offered by faculties open to exchange students.

Almost all undergraduate faculty courses are conducted in Japanese. You can take undergraduate faculty courses only if you meet the Japanese language proficiency requirements.The number of courses you can take also depends on your Japanese proficiency level. Please refer to the chart below.

When registering for Undergraduate Faculty Courses, students are normally required to have Japanese proficiency equivalent to or more  than level N1 of the JLPT. Students whose Japanese proficiency is equivalent to the level N2 of the JLPT can register for undergraduate faculty courses, but need to form their study plan on the assumption that earning credits is extremely difficult.

Number of Undergraduate Faculty Courses You Can Take

Your Japanese Proficiency Level


More than 5 courses

You MUST have Japanese language proficiency equivalent to level N1 of the JLPT ※1

Up to 4 courses

You MUST have Japanese language proficiency equivalent to level N2 of the JLPT ※2

 ※1  “Equivalent to level N1” means you have already passed JLPT N1, or you are able to score at least 80% on the following samples from past tests for the JLPT N1 (*does not include listening section).
※2  “Equivalent to level N2” means you have already passed JLPT N2, or you are able to score at least 60% on the following samples of past tests for JLPT N2 (*does not include listening section).


Level N1

Level N2

Past JLPT exam samples







Answer Sheet






Please refer to the URL for the details of JLPT.

When you register for Undergraduate Faculty Courses, the instructor’s permission is required. Depending on the situation, you may not be able to take the undergraduate faculty courses you like. Please keep this in mind when forming your study plan and credit transfer plan.

Undergraduate Faculties Open to Exchange Students.

Most undergraduate faculty courses are offered in Japanese.

Faculties open to exchange students Campus
Letters Mita
Economics Mita
Law (Dept. of Law/ Dept. of Political Science) Mita
Business and Commerce Mita
Science and Technology Yagami
Policy Management Shonan Fujisawa (SFC)
Environment and Information Studies Shonan Fujisawa (SFC)
Nursing and Medical Care Shonan Fujisawa (SFC)
Pharmacy Shiba-Kyoritsu

*Some registration restrictions and/or course prerequisites may apply. Physical education courses, foreign language courses, and courses in the School of Medicine are not open to exchange students.

*Course descriptions and schedules for under graduate faculties: (Only available in Japanese)

(The course descriptions and schedules for 2015 will be available after April 1, 2015.)