Courses available for Exchange Students

Exchange students from our partner institutions under the student exchange agreement at university level can register for the following courses. For details on the course registration rules and procedures, please refer to the web page of each program (

International Center Courses

  • The curriculum of the International Center Courses focuses on Japan and East/Southeast Asia as a central theme. 
  • There are courses in various fields such as Language and Literature, Arts, Culture and Cross-Cultural Understanding, Science, Religion and Thought, History, Media and Communications, Social Issues, Politics, Diplomacy and International Exchange, Business and Economy, and Law.
  • For Course list and descriptions, please refer to

For further details, please refer to

Undergraduate Faculty / Graduate School courses

  • Students may register for courses offered by Faculties or Graduate Schools. Some courses are not open to exchange students.
  • English-taught courses are available. In particular, the Faculty of Economics and the Faculty of Business and Commerce offer many English-taught courses (including PCP and GPP courses). 
    For further details, please refer to International Center Courses (Course Description)
  • Students with a certain level of Japanese language proficiency can take Japanese-taught courses.
  • JLP Students who fulfill the designated requirements may also take up to 2 subjects taught in Japanese (for a total of up to 4 credits) each semester. However, as it requires a high level of Japanese language ability to take subjects conducted in Japanese, please decide to register these subjects after careful consideration.
  • KIP students who have Japanese language proficiency equivalent to JLPT level N2 or above may take Japanese-taught courses. The number of courses you can take depends on your Japanese language proficiency level.
  • Online syllabus
    To search courses conducted in English, please choose "English" for "the language of instructions" at the bottom-right of the page.
  • RP students may also take graduate courses, but only if they are permitted to take courses by their academic advisors. 

Independent Study

  • The Independent Study enables students to conduct research on a topic of their choice under the guidance of a supervisor who is a full-time academic faculty member of Keio University. This usually involves meetings between the student and the academic faculty member.
  • Students will be required to submit a substantial piece of written work that reports the results of their research.
  • Students are personally responsible for finding a full-time academic faculty member at Keio University  who is willing to become their supervisor for the proposed research.

For further details, please refer to

Japanese language courses

*Japanese language courses for Japanese Language Program(JLP) students are different from those for Keio International Program(KIP)/Research Program(RP).

For JLP students, please refer to the following web site.

For KIP and RP students, please refer to the followings.
  • Students are allowed to take up to four Japanese language courses offered by the Center for Japanese Studies per semester. 
  • Keio Japanese Courses (KJC) includes subjects in 7 study levels from elementary to advanced, in which students can effectively learn the Japanese language in a short period of time and balance their studies in Japanese language with other courses.
  • The best feature of these courses is that the subjects are focused on developing skills of communication (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) comprehensively. At the elementary level, students can efficiently learn the basics of Japanese and cultivate the communication skills essential for daily life. At the intermediate and advanced levels, there are a variety of subjects offered to build up students’ proficiency of language with mutual interaction in Japanese and to deepen their understanding of Japanese culture and society.
  • For further details, please refer to