Apply for Exchange Students

Updated: January 21,2013

  • First, check the list of Partner Institutions . Your home institution must be a partner institution through an exchange agreement with Keio University.
  • You MUST be formally nominated as an exchange student by your home institution's exchange coordinator.
  • Once you have been nominated by your home institution, please submit all the application documents to Keio University through your home university international office.
  • Following the receipt of your completed application documents, we will screen your application. After we make a decision, you will be notified whether you have been accepted.

Application Deadline

The application must arrive at Keio University NO LATER than the deadlines below.
2014 Fall Admission : March 30, 2014
2015 Spring Admission : October 5, 2014(For future reference)


To qualify as an exchange student at Keio University, you must meet the following requirements:

Japanese Language Requirement

There is no Japanese proficiency required to apply to be an exchange students at Keio University. Students are required to take a Japanese language placement test run by the Center for Japanese Studies at the beginning of each semester in order for them to register for the appropriate learning level for Japanese language courses.

Financial Requirement and Scholarships

Be sure you can financially support yourself during the period of study at Keio. The average cost of living expense is at least JPY 130,000/month if you live in university-subsidized student housing. Finding a scholarship when you are in Japan is very difficult. Plan for financial support before arrival. Scholarships such as JASSO are available but are not guaranteed for all the exchange students since the number of recipients is very limited. Those who would like to apply for a JASSO scholarship, please submit the designated application documents along with your student exchange applications. You cannot apply directly for a JASSO scholarship.

Exchange Schedule

*Please click here for the latest exchange program schedule.