Applicaton Guide for Keio Exchange Program
Updated: January 16, 2019
To qualify as an exchange student at Keio University, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled at one of Keio University's partner universites
- Have student status at your home university throughout your period of study at Keio University
- Be formally nominated as an exchange student by your home university
The application must be submitted Keio University NO LATER than the deadlines below.
2019 Fall Admission: March 29, 2019
2020 Spring Admission: October 4 , 2019
- If you are a transfer student and wish to apply for the JLP, you must have completed at least one semester at your home university (nominating institution) at the time of application. You must be able to submit a transcript and a recommendation letter from your home university.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Your application will be reviewed by the selection committee of each program.
- Acceptance to Keio is confirmed once you receive your acceptance letter. We recommend that you do not purchase an airline ticket prior to receiving your official letter of acceptance.
- Extending your study period is not permitted. Please plan and choose your study period very carefully when you apply.
- No credits or certificate will be given if you are not enrolled until the end of the course and miss the exams. No exceptions will be made for those who wish to leave early due to academic schedule conflicts or graduation from your home institution. Please check our “Academic Calendar” and “Important Dates”, and consult with your home institution well in advance.
Application Instructions for incoming exchange
1. Ensure you meet Keio’s eligibility
2. Review programs and course descriptions
It is very important that you choose the program that best suits you. Read this information carefully before you make your decision.
Click here for programs for exchange students.
3. Online nomination (done by exchange coordinator of your home university)
Let your coordinator know your intended program and study abroad duration.
4. Prepare application documents before you start online application procedures. Some documents such as recommendation letter, certificate of health or bank letter may take more time than expected.
You will be asked to upload following documents. You do NOT need to submit hard copy documents by post.
・One recommendation letter
・Official academic transcript
・Certificate of health*
・Certificate of financial support
・Application for Certificate of Eligibility (visa document)*
*Click here for detailed instructions of the application documents and downloadable forms.
5. Read "Guide to the online application" carefully and apply online from below.
Important dates for applying to Keio on exchange
*Please click here for the latest exchange program schedule.
Japanese Language Requirement
There is no Japanese proficiency required to apply to be an exchange students at Keio University.
Be sure you can financially support yourself during the period of study at Keio. The average cost of living expense is at least JPY 130,000/month if you live in university-subsidized student housing. Finding a scholarship when you are in Japan is very difficult. Plan your financial support before arriving.
Scholarships such as JASSO are available but are not guaranteed for all the exchange students since the number of recipients is limited.
If you wish to apply for the JASSO scholarship, read the Application guide for JASSO scholarship below carefully and make sure you meet all of the requirements. Then, appy for the scholarship on the STEP 5 of the Online Application for Keio Student Exchange Program.
Japanese nationals, including those with dual nationalities must enter Japan as a Japanese national with a Japanese passport. If you do not have a Japanese passport, apply at a Japanese embassy or consulate nearby. Do not enter Japan with a foreign passport.
Spouse or child of a Japanese Nationals
If you are a spouse or child of a Japanese National, you have the choice of either applying for a Student visa or applying for a Spouse or Child of Japanese National visa. A Certificate of Eligibility is not required to apply for a Spouse or Child of Japanese National visa. Regarding the application procedure, consult with the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country directly. Although the application procedure for a Spouse or Child of Japanese National visa is simpler than obtaining a Student visa, persons entering Japan with this visa should be aware that they must surrender various advantages provided to international students.
Please inform us of your name and your home university when inquiring.
Office of Student Services (International Exchange Services Group)