Application Documents for Keio Exchange Program

*You need to complete and upload following documents when you submit your application online.
Prepare these documents before you start online application procedures.

*All documents must be uploaded by the designated formats as listed below.  Cell phone snapshots (such as jpeg files or png files) are NOT acceptable.

*No language certificates are required at the time of application.

*An authorized Japanese or English translation is required if the text is not written in Japanese or English.

*Documents used for the internal selection at your home university will NOT replace the application documents to Keio.

*Do not submit any extra documents unless otherwise instructed.

*You may not change/update documents submitted online after the deadline has passed. If you wish to change/update documents after the deadline, please send the file(s) to the email address below.

*We may contact you if any detail on the application form is not clear or if we require further clarification.

*If you are a Japanese national, please select "Japan" for your nationality when you fill out online application and submit a copy of your Japanese passport.





Upload document in the following format

1. Photo

-The photo should be taken within 3 months prior to submission.

-This photo will be used for your visa and student ID card. Please readphoto_instructions.pdfbefore you upload the photo.

- Selfies and/or retouched photos are NOT acceptable.


2. Study proposal

- Use the form that corresponds to the program you are applying for.  

1) for KIP
(Keio International Program)


- Please read "Study Information for KIP" befor you complete the form.
- Applicants who wish to take undergraduate faculty courses conducted in Japanese must write the proposal in Japanese.


2) for JLP
(Japanese Language Program)

- Please be aware that you cannot determine your level by yourself. Level placement will be determined based on the standards of the Keio University Japanese Language Program. These standards may differ from those of your home country, and there is a possibility that you will not be placed at your desired level. Please thoroughly consider this possibility when forming your study plan and plan for transferring credits.


3) for Research Program


**for Faculty-level exchange students


Study proposal for Faculty-level exchange can be foundhere. PDF

3. One recommendation letter


- The letter should be written by a faculty member (e.g. professor, associate professor, lecturer, etc.) who can comment on your academic ability at your home university for this program within the past 3 months.

- The letter should also be signed by the professor.

- There are no specific format for the recommendation letter, however it would be preferable if the letter would be printed on a university letterhead.

- The letter written by TA (Teacher's Assistant) or used for the internal selection at your home university is not acceptable.

-If your school or recommender prefer that students do not see their own recommendations, you may ask your exchange coordinator to send PDF copy of the letter to us by e-mail on be half of you.


4. Official transcript

- Your full academic record from your home institution including grades and grading scale.


-The transcript should be issued within 3 months prior to submission.


5. One copy of passport

- Photocopy the page of your personal information. PDF

6. Certificate of health


- Must be completed and signed by a physician, NOT by the student.


7. Certificate of financial support 

Select which financial resources you will provide from 1) -4) below and submit required documents.

- The certificate should be issued within 3 months prior to submmision.
- The certificate must show the following expected cost of their stay, which is at least JPY 130,000 (or equivalent in local currency) per month for the period of stay.                                      
Spring semester: JPY 520,000 (JPY 130,000 × 4 months)
Fall semester: JPY 780,000 (JPY 130,000 × 6 months)
Full academic year: JPY 1,430,000 (JPY 130,000 × 11 months)
- A copy of your monthly bank statement will not be accepted.
- JASSO scholarship cannot be a part of your financial support as we cannot confirm you will be awarded JASSO scholarship at this moment.

1) Personal funds

- A bank statement or bank letter on official bank letterhead indicates the type of account, the current balance and type of currency. The student's name must appear on the bank document. (Sample) PDF
2) Family funds

- A letter of support in English or Japanese signed and dated by a family member who intends to provide for your expenses. The letter must indicates the amount of funds to be provided, the duration of the support, and the individual's relationship to you. (Sample)




- A bank statement or bank letter on official bank letterhead indicates the type of account, the current balance and type of currency. The name of the family member providing support must appear on the bank document (Sample)

*Be sure to upload both documents.

3) Sponsoring organization funds - A letter in English or Japanese from a sponsoring organization that indicates the amount of funds to be provided and duration of the award. PDF
4) Loan funds - A copy of the approval letter indicating the amount of the loan. PDF

8. COE application


- An international student without resident status in Japan needs to have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) issued in advance of applying for an applicable visa ("the College Student" visa).


- Please read below sample carefully for how to fill out the COE application form. The form is 3 page long.

"COE Sample (personal funds)" for students whose financial fund is solely "1) Personal funds".
"COE Sample" for students whose financial funds are NOT solely "1) Personal funds". (any combinatin of above funds 1) -4))
- Not required for Japanese nationals.